Re: [O] proposal to have ignoreheading tags/properties

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] proposal to have ignoreheading tags/properties
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 20:12:54 +0200

Hello,

Mark Edgington <address@hidden> writes:

> If I understand your example correctly, it seems like you are assuming that
> the :inline: tag should promote a section's contents to the level *above*
> the level of the section having the :inline: tag.

I'm always assuming the worst.

> To me this behavior doesn't make sense, and that's also not what
> I would expect such a tag to do -- instead, the section's text
> (anything which comes before the next headline at any level) should be
> merged with the text of the nearest preceding headline. Then all
> nested headlines contained in the :inline: section should be promoted.
>
> It is true that this could sometimes be confusing.  For example:
>
>   * A
>   text1
>   ** B
>   text2
>   * C  :inline:
>   text3
>   ** D
>   text 4
>
> would get treated like:
>
>   * A
>   text1
>   ** B
>   text2
>   text3
>   * D
>   text 4
>
> In this case, one would likely omit 'text3' from the first part of the
> example, since it doesn't make much sense to have it there.  For the most
> part, though, it would be a behavior that makes sense (e.g. if "* C" were
> replaced with "** C" in the example).

As I said, you cannot solve that confusing situation in the general
case. If we allow the confusing part (i.e "text3") altogether, then my
suggestion still holds:

  - if you don't need to nest headlines, use a drawer.
  - if you do need sub-headings, extending :export: and :noexport: is
    sufficient.

Example:

  * A
  text1
  ** B
  text2
  * C :noexport:
  text3
  ** D :export:
  text

If you really need the exact behaviour that you describe, I suggest to
extend the first answer to the relative FAQ so that it also promotes
sub-headings besides removing the headline.

> It may be that "inline" isn't the best word to describe this behavior, which
> is why something with "ignore" or "promotechildren" has been
> mentioned.

The fact that it's difficult to find a good descriptive name for that
feature is a good indication that it isn't meant for general
consumption. ;)

Nicolas Goaziou