Re: [O] Installing from git

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Installing from git
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 17:51:07 -0500

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Vicente Vera <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello. I'm quite confused with the installation options.
>
> Recently started out a Debian base system and compiled Emacs from the bzr
> repository. That came out fine, so I ran 'make install' and now Emacs
> 24.4.50 sits in /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share, etc.
>
> I want to install the master branch of org-mode. Currently I followed these
> steps:
>
> - cd ~/org_from_git/
> - git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
>
> ¿Do i need to tweak 'local.mk' so the prefix variable points to
> /usr/local/share before running make?
> ¿Which make option should i use (besides 'make autoloads')?

Did you search around a bit? There's lots of posts with people's
setups. You certainly *can* install over the top of the Org that came
with your version of Emacs (pointing it to install to
/usr/local/share, I suppose), though I've never gone that route. Some
mailing list examples from googling about Orgmode git installation:
- Achim's post:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-05/msg00609.html
- My setup:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-04/msg00396.html

>From mine, you'll note I never "install" Org -- just clone to a
directory, make, and tell Emacs about it in .emacs... done!

John