Re: [O] if we operate on a subtree, perhaps we could adjust levels

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] if we operate on a subtree, perhaps we could adjust levels
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 17:05:57 +0200

Hi Samuel and Achim,

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Samuel Wales writes:
>> you will notice that the decrypted subtree is actually at a higher
>> level than its parent.  this is a violation of org structure.
>>
>> in consequence, it can silently swallow the entire rest of the file.
>>
>> this is not desired.

I see now, thanks.

>> is there a way to fix it?
>
> There's two ways I can think of:
>
> 1. Record the subtree level in a property before doing the encryption
> and compare that to the level after decryption.  If there's no match,
> then promote or demote as appropriate.

I tried that way, but promoting and demoting the subtrees of the
encrypted entry is tricky.

> 2. Demote the whole subtree to toplevel before encryption and promote
> into the correct level on decryption, (much in the same way that
> includes are handled).

By "correct level on decryption" you mean toplevel?  This would really
circumvent the problem.

Maybe we can store the level in a property on encryption and simply
throw a warning on decryption, letting the user decide whether she
wants to continue decrypting even when it may break the hierarchy.

What do you think?

--
 Bastien