Re: [O] make orgtbl-ascii-plot easier to install

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] make orgtbl-ascii-plot easier to install
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 00:09:37 +0200

Thierry Banel <address@hidden> writes:

> Do you recommend to stay away from CL & CL-LIB for ORG stuff ?
> `DOLIST' comes from CL as well...

Actually, `dolist' is a macro from "subr.el", which is then shadowed by
`cl-dolist', so there's no problem here.

BTW, you can use macros from cl (cl-lib doesn't exist in Emacs 23), not
so functions.

>         IOW, you need to eliminate the leading 'hline, if any,and skip until
> the next 'hline if there is one and if there is something after it.
>
> Ok. Not completely fool-proof, but better.
>

> Do you think of another case that wouldn't be covered by this?
>
> 1st case: a header and several hlines.
> In this case, values 1,2,3 will be ignored.
>
> | header |
> |--------| <-- leading hline: skipped
> | 1 |
> | 2 |
> | 3 |
> |--------| <-- next hline: ignore whatever is before
> | 4 |
> | 5 |
> | 6 |

I wasn't clear. A "leading hline" is when the very first row is a hline
(or worse consecutive hlines start the table). In the example above,
there is no such leading hline, so you don't eliminate it. Therefore,
only header will be skipped.

> 2nd case: no header at all, values in boxes.
> Values 1,2,3 will be ignored as well.
>
> |--------| <-- leading hline: skipped
> | 1 |
> | 2 |
> | 3 |
> |--------| <-- next hline: ignore whatever is before
> | 4 |
> | 5 |
> | 6 |
> |--------| <-- last hline

There is a header. By definition, anything in the first column group is
a header. There is no limitations on the number of rows involved.

It may be a bit surprising, but this is consistent with the rest of Org.

> The only ill-interpreted case is this one, with no header.
> The first values are considered as headers:

> | 3 | | <-- formula not applied
> | 4 | | <-- formula not applied
> | 5 | 50 |
> | 6 | 60 |