Re: [O] [PATH] Speedups to org-table-recalculate

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] [PATH] Speedups to org-table-recalculate
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 21:57:05 +0200

Hi Nathaniel

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 7:11 AM, Nathaniel Flath <address@hidden> wrote:
> Patches are attached.

I am not an expert for all the following comments, please correct me
or contradict where necessary.

The patches do not apply on current master, so I did not try them out
yet.

You might want to add a def-edebug-spec like there is one for many
other defmacro in Org.

Limit lines to max. 80 chars.

It will make it easier for the maintainer Bastien to apply the patches
when you format them with git including a changelog etc. as described
here
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html

> +          (if (not all) (message "Re-applying formula to field: %s" (car eq))
> +            (org-table-execute-once-per-second log-last-time (message
> "Re-applying formula to field: %s" (car eq))))

Good idea to still log always when only one table row is recalculated.

The doubling of the message makes it more complicated to maintain its
string. I suggest to change the macro to allow

    (org-table-execute-once-per-second
     (when all log-last-time)  ; Log just always when `all' is nil.
     (message "Re-applying formula to field: %s" (car eq)))

Why not test `all' also for the other message with "to field"?

> +       ,@body

Parentheses not alone on an own line.

> +            (and all (org-table-execute-once-per-second log-last-time
> (message "Re-applying formulas to %d lines...done" cnt))))

Shouldn't this use `log-first-time'?

Michael