Re: [O] Org-plot/org-babel-gnuplot not working

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Org-plot/org-babel-gnuplot not working
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 18:42:59 -0600

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Garreau, Alexandre
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Le 04/11/2014 à 03h47, John Hendy a écrit :
>> Could you post the gnuplot/babel relevant stuff from your .emacs?
>
> This:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> ;; active Babel languages
> (org-babel-do-load-languages
>  'org-babel-load-languages
>  '((gnuplot . t)))
> ;; add additional languages with '((language . t)))
> #+END_SRC
>
> Of course it’s not enough. It doesn’t work. I saw this here:
> <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-gnuplot.html>
> (got the link on #org-mode asking for help).

What's not enough? The docs also state (a bit above the babel lines):

#+begin_quote
Babel support for gnuplot requires that gnuplot be installed on your
system, along with gnuplot.el, an Emacs major mode for interacting
with gnuplot. You can install gnuplot.el with ELPA.
#+end_quote

>From my min-config, you can see that enabling gnuplot in babel and
pointing to gnuplot.el are enough. Is this what you mean (that you
need gnuplot.el + the babel lines)?

> Le 04/11/2014 à 04h48, John Hendy a écrit :
>> Just took a look at the worg page and gave it a whirl in the style of
>> Org 8.x. Indeed, the babel/setup section is oudated, and I'm not sure
>> if 7.9.3f is on the "old style" or new style. I thought there was a
>> sort of "pre-8.0" version of Org that still adhered to the newer
>> syntax. In any case, take a look at the attached .org file with my
>> minimal setup which works successfully for me. Hopefully it's
>> self-explanatory. I attached my pdf export as well.
>
> I already tried to eval your code, and it… oh… it turns out it works…
> but… it’s the same that mine in my .emacs.d/init.el.

You mean you didn't change your .init.el and yet it began working when
the exact same setup was previously not working?

> /And then, once more, it suddenly worked without any explanation/
>
> Ok it works it’s great. Does any plot previewing exist? I mean, with the
> image *in* the buffer, like for LaTeX preview feature (maybe I should
> ask in a separate mail…)?

See org-toggle-inline-images:
- http://orgmode.org/manual/Handling-links.html#fnd-6

After C-c C-c on both blocks in the test file I sent (you need the the
resultant image links in the file), I did C-c C-x C-v per the manual
and get the attached as the result.

Best regards,
John