Re: [O] [RFC] Change property drawer syntax

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Change property drawer syntax
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 20:58:38 +0100

Hello,

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/address@hidden>
writes:

> I've done that but, now, it does not support anymore the structure I had
> in all my Org files:
>
> ** TODO Show typical Org entry
>    SCHEDULED: <2014-11-08 Sat>
>    :LOGBOOK:
>    CLOCK: [2014-11-11 Tue 12:35]--[2014-11-11 Tue 14:19] =>  1:44
>    :END:
>
> I have the planning lines and the drawers indented at the level of the
> entry.
>
> On the other hand, the "body text" of the entry always begins at
> column 0.  This makes a clear distinction between "meta-stuff" and the
> contents of the entry itself.

This distinction is not known by Org.

"Meta-stuff" is stuff bound to a headline: planning info and, now,
properties drawer. OTOH, a LOGBOOK drawer is a regular drawer, which can
be inserted anywhere within the section. As such, it belong to the body
of the section.

> Now, with `org-adapt-indentation' set to `t', the whole "block" moves to
> the right when demoting, and to the left (except for the LOGBOOK
> drawer!? [1]) when promoting.

When demoting, everything, i.e., "meta-stuff" and body, is moved to the
right. When promoting, "meta-stuff" is moved unconditionally (due to
`org-adapt-indentation'), but line beginning at column 0 prevents the
body from being moved.

Maybe behaviour could be more symmetric (i.e., refuse to demote body if
promoting it would fail). I didn't think about it much, but I have the
feeling that there are pitfalls, however.

`org-adapt-indentation' is really useful if you indent everything, e.g.,
using C-j to start new lines. Here you are using something in-between.
I suggest to keep `org-adapt-indentation' to nil and "fix" meta stuff
and logbook by indentation by hand, using `org-after-demote-entry-hook'
and `org-after-promote-entry-hook'.

> With `org-adapt-indentation' set to `nil', nothing moves (but the
> headline), when demoting or promoting.

This sounds right.

> [1] See http://screencast.com/t/nsGNuoHL.

This requires Flash, which I don't have.

Nicolas Goaziou