Re: [O] M-RET vs C-RET

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] M-RET vs C-RET
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:16:13 +0100

Hi,

> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> From my point of view, we can make every function tied to M-RET beyond
>> `org-insert-headline' configurable and turned off by default.  This may,
>> however, also add confusion ("why did M-RET work in X's Org but not in
>> mine...").
>
> In this case, S-RET is a superior (as in less confusing) choice.

I see.  That's probably OK.

> Anyway, I assume M-RET on keywords is just a first step. So, what's the
> big picture? I think it would help to know the complete specifications
> of the M-RET you envision, as it could make more sense than the sum of
> its parts.

You're the architect.  I just submit an occasional patch or bug-fix
(under much guidance).

I don't have a grand vision, but, ideally, I'd want M-RET to "do the
right thing", which is my book is often create an element similar to
element at point, and is certainly not but my #+begin_src emacs-lisp
code on a headline.  I agree the logical action is to the eye of the
beholder.  To me, some elements have a very clear-cut "next logical
thing" (item, headline, white space (headline), some keywords, maybe
tables), others don't (e.g. src-blocks and export blocks.).  IMO, we can
disable most of element-actions (literately keywords and tables) out of
the box, much like e.g. `scroll-left'.

Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden>
writes:

> Having such a file:
>
> ** TODO Research
> - [...]
> - Elevator pitch|
>
> Check out with Laura...
>
> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod
> [...]
>
> If I want to cut the task into 2 at the point of the cursor (vertical
> bar, after "pitch"), I thought doing M-RET or C-RET were the way to go.

Here's another of my pet-griefs

- a
- b

| → M-RET will give me an itme
| → M-RET will give me a headline

Why is the behavior a function of amount of whitespace/newlines to
nearest element?  This makes not sense to me and goes against what I
want, namely act in accordance to element at point. . .

—Rasmus

--
Need more coffee. . .