Re: [O] [BUG] on export resulting in endless evaluation

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] [BUG] on export resulting in endless evaluation
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 13:25:40 +0100

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/address@hidden>
writes:

> Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> Charles Berry <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Add this to the end of your example and run the src block:
>>>
>>> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results pp
>>> (org-entry-get (point) "header-args" t)
>>> #+END_SRC
>>>
>>> #+RESULTS:
>>> : ":exports both :results output exports code"
>>
>> Very useful function - I think I will use it quite often! I would have
>> seen the problem immediately - the missing :
>
> FWIW, `C-c C-v I' (or `C-c C-v C-I') would show you:

Now this is really helpful.

Brilliant.

Now If I do this in the faulty block, I get:

,----
| Lang: R
| Header Arguments:
|       :cache          no
|       :exports        both
|       :hlines         no
|       :noweb          no
|       :results        code exports output replace
|       :session        none
|       :tangle         no
`----

And I can see if something is wrong.

One question remains: to debug wrong header arguments, it would be useful to
see, in addition to the resulting header arguments, where they came
from, especially the header-args argument would be useful to see.

So I added the line

(when header-args     (funcall printf "header-args: %s\n"     header-args))

to the output, and was surprised:

Using the second code block in my example, I get (line breaks and bold added for
readability):

,----
| Lang: R
| header-args: ((:comments . ) (:shebang . ) (:cache . no) (:padline . )
| (:noweb . no) (:tangle . no) (:exports . both) (:results . code exports
| output replace) (:hlines . no) (:session . none))
| Header Arguments:
|       :cache          no
|       :exports        both
|       :hlines         no
|       :noweb          no
|       :results        code exports output replace
|       :session        none
|       :tangle         no
`----

1) I thought that header-args is simply a string, but it already seems
to be a list?

2) Am I right in assuming that when I use header-args, the string passed
is parsed and then either set as header-args or, if using header-args+,
added to the header-args?

3) even when using +, the previously set value *of the header argument* is
overwritten?

4) if an invalid string is given, where is it appended? Woulddn't it
make sense to only accept values of the pattern =:headerArgument string=
to avoid these kind of user errors?

5) Is there any way in getting, in this function, the same output
(header-args) as from the code block suggested by Charles:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results pp
(org-entry-get (point) "header-args" t)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: ":exports both :results output exports code"

Thanks,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug