[O] Citation syntax and ODT

From: Vaidheeswaran
Subject: [O] Citation syntax and ODT
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 12:52:35 +0530

Those working on the citation syntax should make it clear that the
"lowest common" cite syntax does NOT also IMPOSE (or GUARANTEE) a
specific style on the produced document.

When I say this, I specifically mean:

1. I want my citation and references to be carried over FAITHFULLY to
   the exported document.

2. I DON'T CARE how (1) is styled.

The above observations would translate to:

The Cite object in it's SIMPLEST form specifies just a citekey (or a
set of citekeys). The Cite-object is qualified with a footnote saying
that any key-value pair -- including "type" -- that is specified with
Cite object MAY BE IGNORED by a backend.

Note that I am not speaking against Bells and Whistles.  I am only
saying that Bells and Whistles MUST NOT be imposed upon a backend like
ODT where the available tools are NOT AS RICH OR AS MATURE AS that
available with other backends like HTML or LaTeX.

A simple search of this discussion list suggests that there already
exists ODT/JabRef implementation.  I hope those who are working on the
syntax also study the EXISTING IMPLEMENTATION and HAVE THAT
IMPLEMENTATION INFORM THE ENTERPRISE.

If someone puts up a draft that (re)-captures the state-of-the-art, I
am willing to do the homework of whetting the spec. against existing
IMPLEMENTATION.