Re: [O] Bleeding edge in elpa

From: T.F. Torrey
Subject: Re: [O] Bleeding edge in elpa
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 00:53:49 -0700

Hello,

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> It doesn't get any easier than it already is.  Having both a stable and
> an unstable version of Org avilable via ELPA is a non-starter for the
> simple reason that the package manager can't deal with the versioning
> problems this would introduce.

I think this is not only not a "non-starter", I think it is very easy
with the existing package manager.

The package manager can only handle one version of a package *per
archive*, so instead use one archive per version.

The current daily builds are here:

http://orgmode.org/elpa/

To allow choosing between stable (maint) and unstable (master), put the
package archives here instead:

Stable: http://orgmode.org/elpa-stable/

Unstable: http://orgmode.org/elpa-unstable/

Then, just add-to-list 'package-archives whichever flavor you want.

(And actually, to do away with the current conflict between the org and
org-plus-contrib packages, each of those should be in a separate
archive as well.)

If the next version of Emacs breaks Org out of core into the GNU ELPA
package archive, things can be even easier:  Keep the stable version in
the GNU package archive, and keep the unstable version in the archive on
the orgmode.org server.

(And personally, I think the "contrib" parts should either be merged
into the core or split into separate packages, but that's another can of
worms.)

All the best,
Terry
--