Re: [O] Bug: HTML export ignoring CUSTOM_ID properties

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: HTML export ignoring CUSTOM_ID properties
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 01:08:57 +0200

Hello,

address@hidden (T.F. Torrey) writes:

> Links may work from inside Org, but the original intent of CUSTOM_ID was
> to produce a stable ID for the HTML export that could be linked to from
> outside Org.  With the changed functionality, all existing links to
> presidents.html#clinton are broken, because the usage of CUSTOM_ID has
> changed.  Any custom CSS is also broken, for the same reason.
>
> With the new usage, CUSTOM_ID and ID have virtually the same
> functionality.

Good point.

> The code on master is *supposed* to work as advertised.  It identifies
> itself as 8.3 beta.  Changes that break functionality in exploratory
> ways are alpha changes.

"beta" is indeed misleading. I suggest to ignore it.

As Rasmus pointed out, master is where development happens. Some changes
introduced here may break Org. If one such change makes Org unusable for
you, you can easily revert Org to an earlier, working, commit, without
fuss. Of course, we appreciate if you report the problem encountered
beforehand.

> Ha ha.  There are many tools capable of exporting plain-text documents
> to HTML with predictable and stable ID's.

Considering that not any string is eligible as HTML id (e.g., forbidden
characters), either these tools are putting restrictions on chosen IDs
or they are lying.

> As you said, they aren't your changes and it isn't your decision.

I overlooked the problem in HTML and made a mistake. It happens, more
often than I would like. However, you are not required to be obnoxious
about it. It helps no one.

The problem should be fixed in 0449b785b4b58ec16e1aac126634de70eee519a4.
Thank you for reporting it.

Nicolas Goaziou