Re: [O] Marking/highlighting text temporarily

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Marking/highlighting text temporarily
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 15:19:11 +0800

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Vikas Rawal <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I am revising a long book manuscript, and would like to mark parts of text
>> (not just the headlines) just to remind myself that these need to be dealt
>> with.
>>
>> What could be an the easy way of doing it?
>
> I use footnotes for this sort of thing, but don't find it very ideal.
>
> I've occasionally thought of a link type that operates more like the
> comment feature of Word Processors That Shall Not Be Named. So you'd do
> the following:
>

> Aliquam erat volutpat. Nunc eleifend leo vitae magna. In id erat non
> orci commodo lobortis. Proin neque massa, cursus ut, gravida ut,
> lobortis eget, lacus. [[Sed diam. Praesent fermentum tempor tellus.
> Nullam tempus. Mauris ac felis vel velit tristique imperdiet. Donec at
> pede. Etiam vel neque nec dui dignissim bibendum.]][#:I hear all this
> isn't really Latin, but who am I to say?]] Vivamus id enim. Phasellus
> neque orci, porta a, aliquet quis, semper a, massa. Phasellus purus.
> Pellentesque tristique imperdiet tortor. Nam euismod tellus id erat.
>

> I'm making up the "#:" syntax, but you see what I mean. The comment
> would disappear, the text would be highlighted somehow, and perhaps it
> could even be exported to a proper comment in ODT, and turned into
> a custom container/environment in other export backends. HTML tooltips,
> marginpars, etc.

Allow me to agree with myself further: I do a lot of translation, and
handle temporary notes-to-self with footnotes. I'd much rather use the
above syntax to wrap questionable passages and put the original text in
the comment. That way I can even share it usefully with editors during
the publishing process. That would probably mean ODT/Doc, but how sexy
would it be to turn in a PDF with marginpar notes?