[O] Inaccurate documentation for org-metaleft?

From: Alain . Cochard
Subject: [O] Inaccurate documentation for org-metaleft?
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 18:16:18 +0200

Sorry if I am totally confused, I am an org beginner.

If I do 'C-h f org-metaleft', I see

   org-metaleft is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `org.el'.
   (org-metaleft &optional ARG)
   Promote heading or move table column to left.
   Calls `org-do-promote' or `org-table-move-column', depending on context.
   With no specific context, calls the Emacs default `backward-word'.
   See the individual commands for more information.

However, if I look at the code, it seems to me that it does other
things, at least org-outdent-item.  Experimenting a bit with
org-metaleft and org-outdent-item seems to confirm this feeling.

The doc for org-metaright

   org-metaright is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `org.el'.
   (org-metaright &optional ARG)
   Demote a subtree, a list item or move table column to right.
   In front of a drawer or a block keyword, indent it correctly.
   With no specific context, calls the Emacs default `forward-word'.
   See the individual commands for more information.

is more accurate with respect to list items, but one would expect it
to say "Calls `org-do-demote' etc."

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
IPG (Institut de Physique du Globe) | address@hidden