Re: [O] file or headline-local template for new subtree?

From: Mike McLean
Subject: Re: [O] file or headline-local template for new subtree?
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 21:27:24 -0400

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 5:31 PM, Rasmus <address@hidden> wrote:
Matt Price <address@hidden> writes:

> I have this new system, in which I create a new subtree for every paper I
> grade. I'd love to have the new subtree automatically populated by a
> mostly-empty table on cration. Is this something I can do on a per-file
> basis; or perhaps even something I can change with every level 1 heading?
> I can think of a couple uses for this, actually.

I'm fond of org-structure-template-alist, but it might not be powerful
enough for what you want here.  On a per file basis you could bind some
letter in org-structure-template-alist.  ATM it cannot guess how to insert
a subtree.  But there's org-insert-subheading.

Something I do alot of is have Org Capture templates as files. This lets me write a more complex capture template (in my case for one of several “roles” that I take on ad-hoc but recurring basis during meetings).

I call the template with an entry like the following in org-capture-templates.

("Mg" "Grammarian"
 entry
 (file+headline "~/Documents/OrgMaster/org/Toastmasters.org" "Miscellaneous and Non-Goal roles 2015")
 (file "~/.init/emacs/org-capture-templates/grammarian.org_template")
 :jump-to-captured t :immediate-finish t)

In this specific case, it places the entry under a special pre-defined Org heading, but I could always call org-capture with a `C-0' (zero) prefix to insert a template at point.

I can edit the template file as things change, and it can be pretty complex (some of my represent Projects: A header, several sub headers as tasks, etc.).