Re: [O] Bug: \vert{} exported to markdown not as expected [8.3.1 (8.3.1-

From: Charles C. Berry
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: \vert{} exported to markdown not as expected [8.3.1 (8.3.1-103-g366dc4-elpa @ /home/bitouze/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150907/)]
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 17:10:08 -0700

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

Denis Bitouzé <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

Markdown export back-end use :html conventions to translate entities.
For some reason, HTML prefers &vert; over |, and so does markdown.

There are a few options available:

 1. Prefer | over &vert; in HTML
 2. Overwrite "vert" entity with a new one that would do 1. So
    basically, this is 1 but on your machine only.
 3. Use a new entity that becomes | when used in HTML export.

If this creates a backend derived from 'md (and does not modify ox-md.el),
then fine. But, ...

It seem like there are flavors of Markdown that use verticals for varying purposes. For example, rmarkdown

        http://rmarkdown.rstudio.com/authoring_pandoc_markdown.html

uses them as `line block' markers and to construct `table.el' style tables.

And I have seen verticals used to set off citations elsewhere.

And I am not even sure what Denis meant by using them to `interpret strings'.

Best,

Chuck