I just updated to 8.3.1 from 8.3beta (from git). That appears to have been a terrible mistake on my part.
From this thread I see that the exporter now throws an error and aborts when it encounters an unresolvable link. That makes things really, REALLY difficult. It means I can't get a complete, working export to HTML (in my case) until all link problems are fixed in my 22KLOC .org file (which I use to generate http://www.CommonDraft.org/index.html). That seems EXTREMELY suboptimal. (I'm trying to be tactful here.)
Worse, the exporter doesn't even generate a list of unresolvable links before aborting. That means the only way that I can find and fix busted links (so far as I know) is to do an export --- which takes several minutes given the large file --- and have the export abort on a single link. Then I fix that one link, export again, and have it abort again. Repeat. Aaaargggggg.
I started looking at the hooks, as suggested in a message in the previous thread, but I'm not nearly skilled enough in elisp to be able to do anything useful.