Re: [O] Proposal and RFC for improving ob-python

From: Thomas S . Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Proposal and RFC for improving ob-python
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2015 10:36:35 -1000

Aloha Ondřej Grover,

Ondřej Grover <address@hidden> writes:

> TL;DR for those that may have been scared off by the length of my previous
> email:
> I propose a method of improving ob-python.el by using a progn-like eval()
> Python function which can wrap and execute source blocks.
>
> If this list is not appropriate for discussion of improvements to
> ob-python.el, could you please give me pointers how to reach people that
> might be interested in helping and discussing?
>
> Kind regards,
> Ondřej Grover

This is a good list to discuss improvements to ob-python.

The authors of Babel in Org mode no longer participate in its
development and AFAICT no one has taken over this responsibility.
Instead, there have been changes to one language or another as issues
arise.

I do know that the Babel authors found ob-python difficult to write and
that problems with it have been identified from time to time on this
list.  My sense is that it could be improved, though I don't use it
often enough myself to know.

At any rate, perhaps you could propose a patch and tests?  If the patch
breaks something, then you'll certainly find users interested in
discussing ob-python :)

All the best,
Tom

--