Re: [O] How exactly does "C-c ." work in an existing timestamp?

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: Re: [O] How exactly does "C-c ." work in an existing timestamp?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 20:16:18 +0200

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> Jarmo Hurri <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> # ----------------------------------
>> * testing
>>   <2016-01-07 Thu 15:00-16:15>
>> # ----------------------------------
>>
>> When I move my cursor inside the timestamp and press "C-c .", control
>> jumps to a minibuffer in the echo area. But when I try, in the echo
>> area, to modify the date in the timestamp, it gets a bit weird to me.
>>
>> 1. If I try to use the method specified in the documentation to bump the
>>    date one day forward by typing +1d, nothing sensible happens. It
>>    doesn't matter if I type "+1d" directly, or " +1d" with a leading
>>    space.
>>

> That's relative to *today*, not relative to the existing timestamp.
> +1d changes it to tomorrow. Does that not work for you?

No it doesn't. What's happening...? Are you sure that you are using
_exactly_ the same timestamp I am using, with the time included in
addition to the date:

<2016-01-07 Thu 15:00-16:15>

So if you in this timestamp do "C-c ." followed by _nothing else_ than
"+1d", date switches to tomorrow?

A related thing: the documentation on timestamps says that "Org mode
will find whatever information is in there and derive anything you have
not specified from the default date and time. The default is usually the
current date and time, but when modifying an existing timestamp, or when
entering the second stamp of a range, it is taken from the stamp in the
buffer." So does this imply that "+1d" - if it would work - should
actually add one day to the given timestamp, not today?

>> 2. If I type " 8" (note leading space), the date will move to the 8th,
>>    that is, forward by one day. But a leading space is required.
>>

> Not here - with or without space, it changes it to next Friday
> 2016-01-08.

Nope, doesn't work here without the space, using the timestamp I wrote
above. I am in GNU Emacs 24.5.1, running the latest Org from git repo.

>> 3. If I move my cursor on top of the current date, still in the echo
>>    area, the start time of the meeting and the duration start jumping
>>    forward in the echo area. Please find attached a screenshot of what
>>    the situation looks like. (This at least looks like a bug, or a
>>    "feature.")
>
> Yes, that's weird - not sure what causes this.

Ok, but it is actually a secondary - or tertiary - issue.

Jarmo