Re: [O] Losing trust in Org: stable org-mode releases and unit tests for

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Losing trust in Org: stable org-mode releases and unit tests for basic functionality
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 11:30:09 +0100

Karl Voit writes:
> I had several occasions where "git pull origin master" ended up in
> much work for fixing my large set of Org-mode data.

That's the development branch which can introduce new features and
remove old ones at any time, you should be on maint if you want
"stable".  If you want even more stable, then don't update unless you
hit a bug that is fixed in maint.

> What I am trying to raise is a discussion on whether or not there
> should be a stable git branch or at east some kind of unit test set
> that make sure that really basic functionality doesn't get broken
> without being recognized instantly. In my humble opinion, there has
> to be some kind of continuous integration tests where breaking
> things rings loud whistles.

There already is, it's called "maint".  And if any tests fail on your
machine, then the convenience target "up2" doesn't install the resulting
Org, so you never see that broken version.

> Unfortunately, I don't have time to follow all the interesting
> discussions on the mailing list any more. Does this imply, I can't
> use Org-mode any more?

No, but I'd say you shouldn't use the development version of Org and you
shouldn't run Org directly from the Git worktree.

Regards,
Achim.