[O] Evaluating simple inline expressions in org-mode

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: [O] Evaluating simple inline expressions in org-mode
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 08:45:33 -0500

I'd like to just have a few inline formulas evaluated in my org-mode document (I'm exporting to LaTeX if that matters). Something like this:

=========================
# a constant:
# pi = 3.14159

The value of interest is {{{2*$pi}}}.

I want that to export as:

  The value of interest is 6.28318.

Of course I made up that {{{}}} syntax, that's not a real thing. I've seen org-mode tables with calc, but I'm hoping for something simpler, just inline math _expression_ eval. (I'm fine with elisp, calc, whatever.)

Possible?

--
Gary