Re: [O] How to export casual letter without from and to address?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] How to export casual letter without from and to address?
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2016 22:15:22 -0500

York Zhao <address@hidden> writes:

>> Why use a letter exporter (koma?) if you don't want something that looks like
>> a letter?
>
> I wanted it to be a letter in all aspects, except that it doesn't have the
> "from
> address" and "to address" in the header. More specifically, I want my letter
> looks like:
>
>   Hi Flora,
>
>   Blah blah blah!
>
>   Regards,
>
>   York
>
>> simply write it as a normal org document and export it to pdf or odt or
>> whatever you wish to send.
>
> The problem is, it seems to me that to export to pdf, LaTeX export is the only
> way to go. But then you would have to choose a document class. Obviously you
> can't use "article", nor "book". So my question may probably rephrase as:
> which
> latex document class do you use to export the letter "as is"?

Here's a first approximation using the built-in latex letter class:

o Add the following to some appropriate initialization file:

(require 'ox-latex)
(setq simple-letter-class
      '("letter"
        "\\documentclass[11pt]{letter}"))

(add-to-list 'org-latex-classes simple-letter-class t)

o Then export the following:

#+LATEX_CLASS: letter
#+BIND: org-latex-title-command nil

#+LATEX_HEADER: \signature{York}