Re: [O] orgmode and a database

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: Re: [O] orgmode and a database
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2016 15:12:12 +0200

       > I have been using recutils with orgmode for more than year - still
       > learning of course. So far, my experience has been fine. I am still
       > developing some sort of standard databases, e.g. one for contacts,
       > another for finance type of records, etc.

    Do you have some example or a pointer or so. I don't know even how to
    start.

AFAIK you can read data from a recfile and generate org-mode tables
dynamically in at least two ways:

1) Using ob-rec.el (part of recutils)

   #+begin_src rec :data mydata.rec :type milestone :fields ProjectID,Name
     Year == 2014
   #+end_src

2) Using babel and sh blocks (I found this example in [1])
   ):

   #+begin_src sh :exports results :results output replace :results value table
     recsel -t milestone -e "Year == 2014"  -p 'ProjectID,Name' milestones.rec
| rec2csv
   #+end_src

In both cases evaluating these blocks with C-cC-c must give you a nice
table that then you can export to a report.

The recutils manual is available at the recutils webpage [2].

[1]
https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/1u52eu/can_people_share_their_orgmode_workflows/
[2] http://www.gnu.org/software/recutils