Re: [O] ox-texinfo: non-numbered links to numbered sections

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] ox-texinfo: non-numbered links to numbered sections
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 09:12:32 +0200

Hello,

Jonas Bernoulli <address@hidden> writes:

> Currently "#+OPTIONS: num:N" not only affects whether sections are
> numbered, it also controls whether links to numbered sections look
> like
>
>   See *note 5.2.3: Section hooks.
>
> or
>
>   See *note Section hooks: Section hooks.
>
> in the info file.

This is not specific to texinfo back-end: all export back-ends behave
this way.

> Here the first seems better, but when looking at this inside the Info
> viewer, then it is either
>
>   See 5.2.3.
>
> or
>
>   See Section hooks.
>
> And now the numbered variant is just not informative enough for my
> needs.  I want links to inform the user what they will get when they
> click on it, not how far away from the current location the link
> takes them ;-)

The point is that you can add text around the section number. This is
the only way to get the section number of a given headline.

> I would like if the second form were always used, or if you could add
> an option that allowed selecting the desired style.  The former could
> be accomplished simply by removing
>
>   ((org-export-numbered-headline-p destination info)
>    (mapconcat
>     #'number-to-string
>     (org-export-get-headline-number destination info) "."))
>
> from `org-texinfo-link'.

Instead of reducing the numbers of allowed options, you can use

  [[*Headline][{{{property(item)}}}]]

> Also note that the use of "numbered links" seems to mess with paragraph
> justification.  In that case lines that contain links tend to be to
> short and it gets worse the longer the title gets, probably because that
> is present in the info file (and therefor used for justification (maybe
> that could be changed?)), but then not displayed in the Info viewer.

Please make a different bug report, with an ECM, about it.

Nicolas Goaziou