Re: [O] speed keys for plain lists?

From: Bill White
Subject: Re: [O] speed keys for plain lists?
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 10:54:39 -0500

On Mon May 16 2016 at 13:17, Grant Rettke <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Bill White <address@hidden> wrote:
>> But I'm open to suggestions & discussion - now's the time to play around
>> with formats to find the right balance between playing with words and
>> slogging through markup.  Perhaps this isn't the right mailing list for
>> that discussion, though.
>
> If it isn't then please post the name of that list when you find it.

I'm happy to post here, especially since I can't see moving this project
out of orgmode.

> I started out using only lists too because they are exactly as you
> describe them.
>
> Eventually I wanted to attach metadata to the lists, and now I love
> headings.

Could you post an example?

Here's a sample of my second iteration.  A poor man's database - still
pure orgmode and still plain text, but easily parsable:

 - main word|subordinate word, subdivided into grammatical relations A, B, C,
&c.
   - identification
     - main form :: Abbacy
     - obsolete † :: no
     - non-naturalized ‖ :: no
     - pronunciation :: æ•băsi
     - part of speech :: substantive
     - specification :: none
     - status :: default
     - spellings :: 5-6 abbasy, 6-7 abbacie
     - inflections :: none
   - [morphology]
     - derivation (etymology) :: A modification of the earlier
          ABBATIE, assimilated to forms like prelacy, mediaeval Latin
          -acia, -atia.
     - subsequent form-history ::
     - miscellaneous facts ::
   - TODO: significations & illustrative quotations

> "Created, developed, and nurtured by Eric Weisstein at Wolfram
> Research" [http://mathworld.wolfram.com/]
>
> Org-Mode makes it easy to do that with whatever document you are
> nurturing.

That describes most of my uses of orgmode - thanks!

bw
--
http://members.wolfram.com/billw