Re: [O] template for writing Emacs manuals in Org

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] template for writing Emacs manuals in Org
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 18:43:53 +0200

> Hello,
>
> Jonathan Leech-Pepin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I’m trying to remember why I didn’t implement indexes as properties
>> (it may well have been because I simply didn’t consider it). Assuming
>> there’s nothing in the exporter to prevent converting properties to
>> text after headlines it could work. Treat comma separated values as
>> separate entries.
>
> Index entries are not section wide. It doesn't sound right to attach
> them to properties drawers.

In many cases an index entry is referring explicitly to a specific
heading.  Example:

    ** Installation
       :PROPERTIES:
       :END:

    #+cindex: installation

In such cases I’d prefer to able to attach the index specifically to the
heading.  Much the same way that I prefer to give a heading a custom_id
property rather than putting a <<label>> after a headline.

> Besides, the {{{cindex()}}} macro is not used anymore.  There is the
> CINDEX keyword, which is slightly better.

My bad, I must have accidentally looked at the version before your recent
changes.  The keyword is already better.

> I guess we could use #+INDEX instead, but it would require to add an
> information specific to Texinfo (index type), which would probably
> defeat the simplicity of the solution.

Either is fine.  Though I don’t think it’s less simple to have a key.

   #+index: key :type cindex.

Rasmus

--
This is the kind of tedious nonsense up with which I will not put