Re: [O] Does org-nofity uses dbus?

From: Xi Shen
Subject: Re: [O] Does org-nofity uses dbus?
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 13:12:00 +0000

I also think it is a good idea to add some functions in Emacs for Win32 platform, and let other's used those functions from elisp. Thanks~

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 1:02 AM Fabrice Popineau <address@hidden> wrote:
Well~that's good news. But I think dbus requires X11 to work. But in Cygwin environment, people usually do not configure a full X11 environment.

No, dbus doesn't require X11 to work. Neither does emacs require  Cygwin to work.
Actually, Emacs compiles as a native Windows application (using MinGW32 or MinGW64) and it is also the case of dbus.

Besides, for org-notify, could dbus help it playing a notification sound on Windows? Or popup a notification message?

I guess it will work the same way it does elsewhere.

So what I am thinking is to get some Windows native behavior for org-notify on Windows/Cygwin environment.

I too think that a native, session only module that will provide the same interface as dbus could be interesting
for Windows users. However, that shouldn't prevent those who want to use dbus to use it.

AFAIU, using dbus, you could have a distant running emacs (ssh) session and get notifications on your local desktop,
provided the right setup.

Well, browsing the source code, I see that Eli Zaretskii has already implemented native win32 tray notifications.
They are a small subset of the dbus notifications.
However, he made them exclusive with dbus. I don't see the reason yet.

Fabrice
--

Thanks,
David S.