Re: [O] org-depend: dependencies between TODO entries in different files

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] org-depend: dependencies between TODO entries in different files
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 17:11:54 +0200

* Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,

Hello Nicolas,

> Karl Voit <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Function org-depend-block-todo uses org-find-entry-with-id (from
>> org.el) which is using org-find-property which starts with
>> (goto-char (point-min)) not jumping to any other org-mode buffer.
>>
>> Is there a reason behind this design choice?
>
> What design choice?

... that org-depend is using the current document only.

> 1. That `org-find-property' only searches in the current document?
>
> 2. That `org-depend-block-todo' uses `org-find-entry-with-id' instead of
>    e.g., `org-id-find'?
>
> Property API assumes properties are local to the document. When you
> search for property "FOO", it means "FOO" in the current buffer, not
> "FOO" is some other random Org file somewhere in your hard-disk.

Ah, good to know.

Is there a document, where someone is able to learn those
"meta-patterns" like "Property API assumes properties are local to
the document"?

> ID property is special for that matter.

Clearly, when you take a look at "id:example-id".

> Whenever Org sets such a property, it updates a location database
> (which means ID properties shouldn't be changed "manually").

Being curious: since I only set IDs manually (by typing them into
the PROPERTIES drawer by myself), do I have to take care of
"updating some database"?

> So, ID property can efficiently be used to refer to remote
> documents.

... which I find ultimately useful to get a "personal wiki".

> As a consequence, it may be useful to use `org-id-find' and
> fall-back to `org-find-property' in `org-depend-block-todo'.
>
>> Who is the current maintainer of org-depend.el? Carsten ist
>> listed as author in the header.
>
> I guess nobody. Do you want to take care of it?

Trust me: with my very limited knowledge of Elisp and Org-mode
internals, you do not want to see a commit from my side that is
something other than a typo fix or documentation. ;-)

Can you do us the favour?

Thanks for your insight!

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github