Re: [O] Is it generally better practice to specify local variables at th

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] Is it generally better practice to specify local variables at the first line for Org files?
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2016 07:35:32 -0400

I usually just put a headline at the end, titled "end" or "local variables", etc.., and tagged noexport,

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 5:33 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

Marco Wahl <address@hidden> writes:

> I have the same issue.  Currently I try to have an extra eye on the
> bottommost org tree.  I also use an extra tag to mark the org tree which
> should be bottommost.  I also use the idea stated in
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg106940.html which sorts
> the wanted org tree to the bottom when sorting.
>
> For me this works reasonably well.
>
> When you put the local variables to the top of the file you are on the
> save side AFAICT.
>
> I try to avoid too much information in the first line.  I prefer to have
> the variables at the bottom.

Local variables at the end of the buffer are, indeed, a bit painful to
handle under Org. Org Footnote handles them reasonably well, I think,
but that's about it.

I would welcome a general solution to this, as long as it does not
impede speed of most basic Org commands.

Do you have an idea about it? Maybe a start would be to have a dedicated
Org version of `outline-next-heading' that moves before local variables
when it reaches the end of the buffer.

Nicolas Goaziou