Re: [O] [RFC] Change visibility for bracket links

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Change visibility for bracket links
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 14:30:22 +0200

Hello,

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> No, I meant for it eval in the *scratch* buffer.  It merely shows how it
> might look with a similar mechanism to prettify-symbols-mode.  Of course,
> it lacks all care to details that would make it nice.
>
> I suspect it would suffers from the jumping that Nick, and I guess you as
> well, was advocating against...

Exactly. IMO, this jumping is much more disturbing than a static pair of
additional square brackets.

> Here’s a recording of my screen:
>
>        https://webmshare.com/6wqWB

I understand what `prettify-symbols-mode' is. My real problem is
understanding how it can help with links in Org. In particular, I'd like
to see it, or any other mechanism, turn

  [[http://orgmode.org][Org mode]]

displayed as

  Org mode

into

  [Org mode]

when point is near _any_ of the boundaries and doesn't trigger anything
on anything not related to an Org link.

I don't know if that would be sufficient to make it useful, but it needs
to be as subtle as possible. We already have a not-so-subtle solution
with visible square brackets.

Nicolas Goaziou