Re: [O] Using an org based init file slows down emacs startup by 50x..he

From: Xebar Saram
Subject: Re: [O] Using an org based init file slows down emacs startup by 50x..help needed :(
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 09:19:00 +0200

thx all

Grant, thats interesting since i did start with the bisecting method and couldnt identify the culprit.

again using the method here

https://bitbucket.org/holgerschurig/emacsconf/src/416b2bba2d1d334b9c6ddbd56f8c7f8bd8bc4aab?at=master

works SUPER fast (~10 seconds) so for now ill stick with it until i find the culprit

very strange though

best

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 11:30 PM, Grant Rettke <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 2:36 AM, Xebar Saram <address@hidden> wrote:
> So after a few months of frustration today i discovered the issue that's
> been bothering me for a long time..the REALLY slow emacs startup

I tangled it on my box like this:

Start Emacs default

emacs --no-init-file

(emacs-version)

"GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin15.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1404.46)
 of 2016-06-08 on vela"

(org-version)

"8.2.10"

In Emacs I evaluated

(defmacro measure-time (&rest body)
  "Measure the time it takes to evaluate BODY."
  `(let ((time (current-time)))
     ,@body
     (message "%.06f" (float-time (time-since time)))))

And timed and tangled it.

It took approximately 8 minutes.

When I tangle it using my config it takes approximately 11 seconds.

I would start with a bisection of the file to try and narrow down when
and where the slowdown occurs.