Re: [O] org-ref: citation types (insert full citation); bib style; bib s

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] org-ref: citation types (insert full citation); bib style; bib scope
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 10:26:22 -0500

try: http://tug.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/natbib/natnotes.pdf

> Does anyone know what the other options are? In particular, for the syllabi
> I'm currently creating I'd like to just insert the org-formatted citation
> information itself -- is this possible?

Can you give an example?

> I'd like to be able to point my
> students directly to my github repo, and it will ultimately be more
> convenient to have the links already present in the source code, since
> github doesn't reoslve org-ref

I do not follow what you want here. Another example would be helpful.

> * bib style
> When I right-click on a link and select "copy the formatted citation", I
> don't get the URL field, which my students need. I assume that's because
> I'm not using the right bibliographic style. How do I set the citation
> format?  Would I use the bibliographystyle link, or a header argument
> somewhere?

Support for this is kind of rudimentary, because it is really difficult
to get properly formatted strings for all references.

When you click on a cite link and select copy formatted entry what
happens is the bibfile is opened to that entry and then the result of
org-ref-bib-citation is copied. It is pretty simple, and limited. At the
moment, I think helm-bibtex does the actual formatting if you load it,
and it does not appear to be customizable. See
bibtex-completion-apa-format-reference

I will work on this a little bit and see if some improvements can be
made.

> Also, is it possible to set this option to use org formatting instead of
> html formatting?

You could use a function like this on a link to get something more
customizable.

(defun better-formatted-citation ()
  (interactive)
  (kill-new (org-ref-get-bibtex-entry-citation (car
(org-ref-get-bibtex-key-and-file)))))

see the variable org-ref-bibliography-entry-format, you can set this to
be whatever format you want.

> * Bibliography scope
> I guess I don't really know how to build a bibliographic file to go with a
> particular project.  At present I am using my full Zotero library exported
> to bibtex as a default. Is there a way to just build the bibliography from
> the set of sources cited in the paper?

M-x org-ref-extract-bibtex-entries should put a new heading in the buffer
with the relevant bibtex entries.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F