Re: [O] org-vcard -- possible to convert .vcf files to .org ?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] org-vcard -- possible to convert .vcf files to .org ?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 11:32:04 -0800

Saša Janiška <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Glad to know you're enthusiastic, and patches are always welcome!
>
> What can you recommend for learning Elisp which might be also useful for
> špssobče contributibution to EBDB?

What would be great is having more country-specific parsing and display
functions. EBDB can display phone numbers, etc, differently depending on
the country code. You can look at ebdb-i18n, and also ebdb-chn, which is
the only country-specific library I've written, which is why I'm hoping
people will pitch in here :) Basically look at your contacts and see if
any them have field data that should be read or displayed in
country-specific ways, and see if you can tackle that.

You'll need a passing familiarity with generic functions, but that part
should mostly be copy-and-paste. The work would be with regular
expressions, string formatting, that sort of thing, which is good
practice!

>> I do expect the DAV server stuff to take me a while, though. I've heard
>> the protocol is a bear, and I don't have much experiences with XML or
>> network programming. I expect to crib a lot of code out of org-caldave
>> :)
>
> org-caldav is nice, but not useful any longer for me due to
> https://github.com/dengste/org-caldav/issues/51 issue. :-(

Oh, I've never hit that bug. That's too bad...

Eric