Re: [O] Custom keymaps on org blocks

From: Grant Rettke
Subject: Re: [O] Custom keymaps on org blocks
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 19:22:10 -0500

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 8:50 AM, John Kitchin <address@hidden> wrote:
> On the other hand, there are times when I am working on a document that has
> a lot of short code blocks, e.g. for lecture notes or blog posts, where it
> is sufficiently tedious to me to switch in and out of the special edit mode

These bindings make source block navigation and editing really fast and fun!

(define-key org-mode-map (kbd "s-j") #'org-babel-next-src-block)
(define-key org-mode-map (kbd "s-k") #'org-babel-previous-src-block)
(define-key org-mode-map (kbd "s-l") #'org-edit-src-code)
(define-key org-src-mode-map (kbd "s-l") #'org-edit-src-exit)

Here the 'l' key binding is the most important. It makes for fast
entry and exit of the source block.

For my mind the default bindings "C-c '" interrupts my mental flow. It
is like hearing the sound of a cash register drawer sliding out, doing
some work there and then getting shoved back in every single time.
Ouch.

On the other hand, "s-l" both to enter and exit the source blocks, is
like hearing a gentle breath of air to cool a cup of tea that is a
tiny bit too warm, doing your work and then another gentle breath when
you leave the block.

That is the best way I can describe how much difference the two
bindings make. It is really a "feels" thing, and it feels a lot
better.

Seriously, these bindings might make you fall in love with source
block editing all the time.