Re: [O] After Gmane shutdown: how can I read/write to the org-mode maili

From: Nick Dokos
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 12:06:21 -0400

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 12:56, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> Ooh, what makes you say gmane was shut down? right now I am using gmane
>> to read this message and to reply.
>
> I think the OP means a web interface to gmane which I think no longer
> exists?  I assume you are using an MUA to access gmane lists?

The NNTP interface works and so you can use Gnus to read (and reply
to) the mailing list.  The setup is

(setq gnus-select-method
             '(nntp "news.gmane.org"
                     (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-tls-stream)
                     (nntp-port-number 563)
                     (nnir-search-engine gmane)
                     ))

[The following is completely optional, separate and unrelated - but it
is convenient.]

If you want to use Gnus for reading email as well, you can add your email
source(s) as secondary select methods:

(require 'nnir)

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods nil)
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnimap "GMail"
                      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                      (nnimap-port 587)
                      (nnimap-stream ssl)
                      (nnimap-records-commands t)
                      (nnir-search-enging imap)))

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnimap "Ohter email service
                      (nnimap-address "imap.some-mail-service.com")
                      (... other setup ...)
                      (nnimap-stream ssl)
                      (nnimap-record-commands t)))

This takes care of incoming mail.

There is also outgoing mail to worry about, but that's not a Gnus
problem: you have to set up a couple of things in the smtpmail
library (C-h i smtp RET): the sending method, the server, and the port.
I use my localhost at port 25 as my mail server and run postfix to
forward the mail to my "real" relay:

(setq send-mail-function (quote smtpmail-send-it))
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "localhost")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 25)

The postfix set-up is left as an exercise, but there are plenty
of tutorials on the interwebs.
--
Nick