Re: [O] org mode moves to GNU emacs core

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [O] org mode moves to GNU emacs core
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2017 11:45:01 +0100

Tim Cross <address@hidden> writes:

>> I don't see how that would possible once it is integrated in GNU emacs
>> core, there will be no separate makefile or anything of that sort, but
>> maybe I am missing something.
>>

> There is going to have to be a way for people to maintain and build org
> independently. When you are maintaining Emacs, you don't want to have to
> re-build the whole system every time you create a change. What you tend
> to find is there are multiple Makefiles with a top level Emacs makefile
> which calls sub-level makefiles as part of the build. It may be
> necessary to modify configure or add a new option to build outside the
> emacs tree, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Emacs builds all its lisp with a single Makefile, but the build is
incremental. So the rebuild is very quick. To be honest, even if you
modify the C layer, the dump is pretty fast.

> I should emphasise that while I agree org would be good as part of
> Emacs' core, I don't think this should occur until org change velocity
> has stabilised to a point where change velocity is lower than it is
> now. At that point, there will be much less need to be running the most
> recent snapshot.
>
> Maybe my experience is very different. However, I found a lot more
> motivation to go from org 7.x to 8.x than I did from 8.x to 9.x. In
> fact, the only visible changes in 9.x I've had to deal with have been
> about compatibility changes and minor bugs I've had to update
> for/fix. I could still be running 8.x. The only reason I've updated to
> 9.x is to avoid issues with some of the contrib packages that have/may
> have been updated to work with 9.x

This makes the assumption that all of org moves at the same speed. It
seems to me that the things currently in contrib still move fairly fast.

Phil