Re: [O] setting local variables

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] setting local variables
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 14:42:29 +0200

Hi,

> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> The only real problem I encountered was that links to external Info
>>> manuals did not export correctly, and couldn't be followed. I gave up on
>>> learning the exact syntax of texinfo's @[px]ref commands because it was
>>> dinnertime, but I can figure out what went wrong and maybe provide a
>>> patch.
>>
>> I am not sure either.  I couldn’t get cross-referencing working.
>>

>> http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/texinfo.html#Cross-References
>>
>> The texinfo part of the Org manual could use a section on
>> cross-referencing
>
> IIRC, cross-referencing is straightforward. It should just work.

I could not get it to work.  I tried stuff like "[[(org) Tables]]",
"[[*(org) Tables]]" and , [[texinfo:(org) tables]].

It is always unresolved.  I couldn’t think of any other way of referencing
an external manual, even skimming ox-texinfo.el, so it is not
straightforward to me.

>>> The other thing I'd like to know is how to "inline" sections (ie output
>>> several sections on a single page), but still have links to those
>>> sections work correctly.
>>
>> Are you talking about info pages now?  Because in pdf and html it’s not an
>> issue as far as I’m aware.
>
> The OP is probably talking about @heading and al.
>
> There is actually no way to specify such a "nodeless" heading (more
> exactly, an unnumbered heading that doesn't appear in the table of
> contents), because I couldn't find any appealing syntax (i.e., not too
> low level, and, if possible, generic enough).
>
> I agree this is the last major issue in this export back-end.

That is why I asked for a reference as I do not remember having seen such
a layout in an info page.  If we know of an example, it might not be hard
to implement.

> What it sophisticated referencing? "ox-texinfo" supports internal and
> external links without specific syntax. @pxref and @xref is just
> syntactic sugar over @ref.
>
> "ox-texinfo.el" supports @email, @ref and @uref.

I don’t know as I am not a texinfo expert, but in the texinfo manual they
tell you to be vary of @ref.  It is probably a bit over the top.

    The @ref command can tempt writers to express themselves in a manner
    that is suitable for a printed manual but looks awkward in the Info
    format. Bear in mind that your audience could be using both the
    printed and the Info format. For example:

    Sea surges are described in @ref{Hurricanes}.

    looks ok in the printed output:

        Sea surges are described in Section 6.7 [Hurricanes], page 72.

    but is awkward to read in Info, “note” being a verb:

    Sea surges are described in *note Hurricanes::.

Also, does Org support all four @ref arguments?  In either case, these are
questions that I find reasonable and cannot find the answer to in the
manual.

>> Another area that seems slightly lacking is support for all markings, so
>> perhaps there could be a section on accessing your favorite via
>> ‘org-texinfo-text-markup-alist’ (if ‘org-texinfo--text-markup’ supports
>> it) and the rest via macros, if necessary.
>>

>> http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/texinfo.html#Marking-Text
>
> IMO, advanced marking is not needed, at least out of the box. For
> example, @address@hidden in Texinfo is morally equivalent to ~M-<TAB>~
> in Org, as long as the document targets info.

I guess the idea of Texinfo is produce info, html, and paper manuals
consistently, though.  I personally agree, but just look at the Org manual
and the fuss about @code vs @samp (which, I believe, are also displayed in
the same way).  Texinfo is proudly pedantic.  People exporting to Texinfo
might care about @kbd{} vs @code{} and explaining how to get such
fine-grained control would be a fine thing to document in the manual IMO.

Rasmus

--
Hooray!