Re: [O] [RFC] Dog food, anyone?

From: Adrian Bradd
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Dog food, anyone?
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 18:03:59 -0500

Thanks for this. I think having the manual in org format is a great idea.

Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> writes:

> My concern is with the time between a working manual.org and when it
> becomes the official source.  IIRC, I wasn't able to get a commitment to
> make manual.org the official source, so was looking at an open-ended
> future of what I considered arduous maintenance, without any real hope
> the project might succeed.  Perhaps you have that wrinkle ironed out?

I support the move to manual.org. If there are concerns about the
quality of the manual.org file and its exported .texi manual that
prevent it from becoming the master source one could ask contributors to
add information to both the .texi and .org file until the final
conversion is made. At the very least this would prevent an individual
from taking all the load.

Was there resistance to the move to manual.org previously? Or was the
issue one of apathy?

> BTW, I wasn't able to export manual.org using Org mode version 9.1.4
> (9.1.4-elpaplus @ /Users/dk/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20171205/).
> It fails with this message:
>
> format: Symbol’s value as variable is void: M-x
>
> Does it depend on a more recent Org mode?

Export worked for me on Org mode version 9.1.4
(9.1.4-2-g118753-elpaplus).

Cheers,

--
Adrian