Re: [O] New feature? Remove duplicate subheadings, preserving order

From: Allen Li
Subject: Re: [O] New feature? Remove duplicate subheadings, preserving order
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 13:34:06 -0800

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 6:36 AM, Robert Horn <address@hidden> wrote:

> Allen Li writes:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 8:07 PM, Adam Porter <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> I don’t see a use case for checking all heading data.
>>

> I can see such cases arising from templates and time tracking.  I can
> have a template that captures telephone calls.  The call comes in and I
> start the template.  At this point the heading is just "Received Phone
> Call" and a time tracking start.  Time tracking is eventually kept in a
> drawer, not in the headline.
>
> I might eventually go back an revise the headline based on notes from
> the call, but that will not happen during the call.  It's quite likely
> that sorting out the calls will happen at the end of the day or the next
> day.
>
> Similarly, I receive lab results.  These will initially be a headline
> with just "Lab Result", a time tag like CLOCK, and a tag to indicate
> that it is a lab result.  Some time later I might move them around to
> attach them to a patient or project, but often by just moving them as
> element into the right section for that patient or project.  So these
> also have the same headline contents and different headline data.

It doesn’t sound like you end up with duplicates though?  How do you
envision using duplicate removal for your workflows?

In any case, it sounds like you want to assign unique IDs to each entry
as suggested by Florian and remove duplicates using IDs instead of
matching against heading data, which could collide through sheer luck.