[O] Documentation references to htmlize and htmlize vs. htmlfontify

From: Tim Landscheidt
Subject: [O] Documentation references to htmlize and htmlize vs. htmlfontify
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2018 14:44:39 +0000

Hi,

the Org Mode Manual (here: Emacs master's 9.1.4) refers to
htmlize in several places in slightly different ways; for
example, in one place it says:

| This works automatically for the HTML back-end (it requires
| version 1.34 of the ‘htmlize.el’ package, which you need to
| install).

This is problematic as 1.34 does not work with Emacs 23+;
also it could be interpreted as saying that (current) ver-
sion 1.51 is not supported.

Additionally, there is confusing language throughout whether
it is called "htmlize" or "htmlize.el", whether it is a file
or a package, and whether one needs to download it from the
author's GitHub page.  I assume for most users it is prefer-
able to install it using the MELPA or Debian package.

I wanted to propose to move instructions on how to install
htmlize to the "Installation" node and refer to that section
everywhere else until I noted the section "Packages that Org
cooperates with" that on the other hand does not list
htmlize :-).

There may be other packages referenced in this inconsistent
way; it would be nice to have them all in one place ("Pack-
ages that Org cooperates with"?) and use uniform language.

Finally, Emacs already ships with htmlfontify.  On (non-Org)
files, I see small, but not significant differences between
it and htmlize.  Are there features that only htmlize of-
fers?  Otherwise it would be very convenient to replace
calls to htmlize with a wrapper that tests if the user set
some configurable variable org-htmlize-function (and calls
that), otherwise tries to load htmlize and use that, and
falls back to using htmlfontify.  Glancing at the code, org-
mode seems to use htmlize-region (with (point-min) (point-
max), but on narrowed buffers) which htmlfontify does not
offer, but it is unclear to me whether that would kill 100 %
of all use cases or only some.  (If it works out of the box
with htmlfontify for the most common ones, IMHO that would
be preferable to the current situation where it does not
work at all unless one installs htmlize.)

Tim