Re: [O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 12:40:28 +0100

Samuel Wales <address@hidden> writes:

> On 1/30/18, Allen Li <address@hidden> wrote:
>> It does change org behavior, since the native mark ring
>> distinguishes local from global, whereas org-mark-ring does not.
>> With the proposed change, there won't be a single
>> org-mark-ring-goto, you would have to make sure you call the
>> right command out of pop-to-mark-command or pop-global-mark.
>
> thanks.  then i oppose this change.
>
> it seems crazy to have to think about whether where you will be going
> is in the same buffer or not.  if that is what you mean.

It isn't crazy at all, and works surprising well in practice. Mark ring
is about finding some place you were before. Usually, at least for me,
the document where that place was is known. Once you are there, the
local ring can probably get you back to the desired location. Have you
tried regular Emacs mark ring?

In the current situation, you have to answer a more difficult question:
"Did I move to the desired location using Org tools or other Emacs
tools?". In the former case, I have to use Org specific ring (C-c &,
assuming it is accessible), otherwise, this is Emacs mark ring. So,
e.g., if I follow a link, this is C-c &, if I do an isearch, this is C-u
C-<SPC>. This is exactly what bug #23745 is about. A user is following
an Org internal link and is surprised, rightfully IMO, that C-u C-<SPC>
doesn't get it back to where it was before.

The crazier situation may not be the one you think.

Nicolas Goaziou