Re: [O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 13:28:52 -0700

On 2/25/18, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Samuel Wales <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> in org maint, i can click on a link and, without any cognitive
>> overhead, and with certainty, run a command to get back to the link i
>> clicked on.  to me this seems like basic hypertext ability, such as
>> you might find in info or the back button on firefox.
>>
>> i think your change will make this "back button" behavior as stated in
>> the previous paragraph impossible.  please correct me if that is not
>> true.
>
> That is not true.
>
> If you're still in the same document, the local mark ring moves you back
> to the previous location. If you are not in the same document anymore,
> the global mark ring brings you back to the previous location.

i am at a link in file a that sends me to file b.  i click on it
[actually ret on it].  i pop the global mark ring.

you are saying i will always get back to the link in file a always?

now same example with the link pointing to file a.  will the global
mark ring take me there?  if not, then i will have to use local mark
ring.  this means i have to think about whether the file i was in was
the same file or not.  almost always, by the time i have done whatever
i was doing at target, that is totally forgotten.  the cognitive
overhead criterion in my first paragraph is violated.  so i /think/ my
statement about the back button behavior being broken with your change
is true.  please correct if that is wrong.

>> [for the bug that seems to have prompted your proposal, we could be
>> discussing pushing to the global and local mark rings.  but this does
>> not seem to be what we are discussing.]
>
> I don't want to alter the Emacs mark ring behaviour.

not asking you to.  my imperssion was that you could fix the bug by
having org mark ring push push to both rings.  you would keep the
current behavior of the org mark ring.  perhaps i misremember the bug.

> You are complaining about the global mark ring, which is an Emacs
> feature. So, this complaint should reach Emacs devel.

i am saying that it's not a substitute for the current org behavior.

iiuc, of course.

i don't want to have to care about the global mark ring.  i don't use
it, but if i am forced to by your change, then and only then do i
think it's a problem that its behavior is too fancy.  i don't think
emacs devs will fix it.  it has a mysterious value to its users.