Re: [O] Structured links to headings with endless depth

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Structured links to headings with endless depth
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 14:26:37 +0100

> I think this kind of linking is useful for many general cases. Christian
> has expressed concerns that such links are easily breakable which is
> true but only for documents that are in draft phase (or those which are
> supposed to be restructured on regular basis - like ToDo lists). However
> documents that has been published, like books or scientific papers, and
> will no longer change - will benefit greatly from such linking option.
> Imagine you have a scientific paper in your archive that you have
> already published and removed write access from it in order not to
> change it accidentally. You do want to reference certain
> chapter:section:subsection from it in your new paper, which you are
> currently writing, but creating a target <<chapter:section:subsection>>
> in the old paper is no longer an option...
>
> So may I ask as a feature request, to please add, following link type as
> standard to the org-mode:
>
> [[path/to/file.org::chapter:section:subsection:etc:optional target]]
>
> - chapter/section/subsection could be also just numbers
> - optional target target might be <<optional target target>>
> - there is no need to add '*' (like
> [[path/to/file.org::*chapter:section]] to the link, as ':' after '::'
> imply that headings are referred.
>
> Thank you!

Again, even in the case you are talking about, CUSTOM_ID is better, for
at least two reasons:
- it leads to much simpler links: [[file.org::#my-id]]
- it translates nicely to "id" tag in HTML.

I understand this was not so useful in your use case (only headlines, no
contents), but, it is still valid as a general mechanism.

Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738