Re: [O] Localized org-mode

From: ST
Subject: Re: [O] Localized org-mode
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 20:37:48 +0300

> > is there something like localized/internationalized org? I.e. all
> > keywords, like :PROPERTIES: are translated to another language,
> > like :EIGENSCHAFTEN: (for German) so it looks more natural in a foreign
> > language. It is of a special importance for languages with non-latin
> > letters, where the mix of different languages might be
> > visually/esthetically disturbing and require switching of keyboard
> > layouts while writing. Technically it should be a simple 1-to-1
> > substitution based on an org_keyword_vocabulary for a specific
> > language.
>
> :PROPERTIES: is part of the Org syntax. Having it translated would make
> it more difficult for the parser to operate, and possibly break
> compatibility between documents written in different languages.

Why? Run "detranslator" before you start parsing. I.e. based on your
1-to-1 vocabulary "detranslator" will substitute all :EIGENSCHAFTEN: and
all other org syntax back to English :PROPERTIES: etc.. Then apply
parser as usual.

> IMO, having PROPERTIES, and a few other keywords, is a minor annoyance.
> For example, you never need to actually write "PROPERTIES" since `C-c
> C-x p' (`org-set-property') creates it for you. Also, `C-c C-e #'
> (`org-export-insert-default-template') inserts many keywords for you.

Writing is only a half of the problem. Imagine Cyrillic or Chinese text
mixed with Latin letters. Org is not html (that hides its syntax once
rendered) and it is supposed to be smoothly readable in raw plain text
form. Even worth - imagine right-to-left texts like Hebrew or Persian
mixed up with left-to-right Latin letters. It's not aesthetical.

Thank you!