Re: [O] unable to edit indirect-buffer in fundamental mode without losin

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] unable to edit indirect-buffer in fundamental mode without losing pretty printing in base buffer org mode
Date: Sun, 27 May 2018 22:53:11 +0200

Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:

> Of course, done in c32938b7f.  I did not realize how the freeze for 9.2
> was working.

Thank you.

BTW, I'm considering creating a "next" branch for pending patches that
I'm refraining to push to master. It could help moving forward.

>> However, your fix is not great at all. It was discussed on this ML,
>> about square brackets in links: it causes "jumpings" during editing,
>> which some users, including me, find annoying. Even if it was optional,
>> it would need to be discussed beforehand.
>
> I must have missed that discussion.  I would say that the “jump” in
> this case is only three characters,

Not at all. If you're fontifying sub/superscripts, it changes size of
the whole script (e.g., a_{0123456789}), so it can be obnoxious.

Besides, even if a single character changes its size, the whole line
"jumps". This is distracting.

> whereas for links it is much more (as the whole link becomes un- and
> re-hidden).

Actually, that was only square brackets around the link, not the link
itself, so there was really 2 characters involved. But, see above.

> I would not like links to work this way, but for foo-scripts I found
> it to be quite natural in my testing. So I hope that we can discuss it
> (as an optional feature, certainly) once 9.2 is out.

We can of course discuss it on the ML, but it would be nice to make
clear what is the problem to solve first.