[O] Complexity of using spreadsheet functionality (was: Calculate differ

From: Karl Voit
Subject: [O] Complexity of using spreadsheet functionality (was: Calculate differences of remote table numbers)
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 18:16:35 +0200

* Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Monday,  8 Oct 2018 at 17:19, Karl Voit wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I have to admit that spreadsheets in Org are not
>> something I can recommend to somebody who needs "something that just
>> works" (like Excel-switcher). :-(
>
> Maybe not but the combination of "It's all text", Emacs calc, and
> LaTeX export is unbeatable for me.  I've not used any other
> spreadsheet in years!

I do think that we all agree on that.

But it's more "I accept the nasty issues I have while creating
complex spreadsheet stuff because I got tons of advantages elsewhere
in this tool" instead of "hey, you're using Excel. Wanna switch to
Org/calc because it offers equivalent spreadsheet functionality on
top of many other advantages".

You have to use Org for a while in order to be able to grasp the
large universe of possibilities. It's really not that easy to
explain or show. It's something you have to experience IMHO. And
after you had this epiphany, you accept even hard to do things like
complex calc references.

--
get mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML into Org-mode:
Personal Information Management > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/pim/
Emacs-related > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/emacs/