Re: [O] Org should follow SemVer conventions [Was: Automatically save th

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Org should follow SemVer conventions [Was: Automatically save the archive file after org-archive-subtree]
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2018 08:49:39 +0200

Adam Porter <address@hidden> writes:

> According to that bug report, the behavior changed when upgrading from
> 9.1.2 to 9.1.5.
>
> I think this shouldn't happen.  "Patch"-level releases (incrementing the
> third number) should only contain bug fixes.  Changes which change
> default behavior belong in, at minimum, "minor" releases (incrementing
> the second number).

[...]

> Could Org start doing this and call it Org 10.0?

We already do this. It just happens that this particular commit had
deeper repercussions than intended. It was then considered as a bugfix
and applied on the stable branch.

Moreover, next release will be Org 9.2. Not Org 10. I think Org 10 will
happen when some major part of Org changes, or when we drop support for
older Emacsen, e.g., Emacs 24.

Nicolas Goaziou