Re: [O] exporting to latex and docx not honouring carriage returns to ta

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [O] exporting to latex and docx not honouring carriage returns to tabbing
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 08:29:27 +1100

Sharon Kimble <address@hidden> writes:

> The first distro that I used was Red Hat, and I bought a copy as that
> was the only way in which you could get hold of it, and a couple of days
> before I was going to install it, Red Hat made it free to download and
> use! And that did not help my mood at all! But I've been trying to find
> what year that was, can anyone tell me please, as I can't find a date
> for it?

I started with Slackware in 1994 and then moved to RedHat in 1996
because of RPM and the benefits it provided over Slackware, which at the
time really just had tar.gz archives. The first really popular RedHat
release was probably Vanderbuilt (1997). Zoot (2000) was the first
release to offer ftp download of ISO images. I switched to Debian in
2001 because deb packages had better dependency handling than RPM (at
the time). In about 2010 I swapped to Ubuntu, mainly because I was no
longer that interested in distros and just wanted a system which
worked. I still prefer deb over rpm.

My first latex document was in 1988/1989. Back then it was a DOS
distribution and a pain to get working well! There use to be DOS
sotfware (name I cannot remember) which you installed to give you a
'Unix' like environment - back then, most of my work was on
mainframe/mins (Dec 20/Ultrix, SunOS/Solaris, OSF/Tru64).

I also do all my work in org and don't write 'native' latex anymore. All
the info I provided before was from the perspective of using org to
generate Latex and then pdf. My setup and document classes are all
defined within org mode configuration options. I run emacs on OSX for
work and Linux at home. The last time I used MS was Windows 3.1 and I
know little about modern MS platforms. MS Office just make me shudder!

--
Tim Cross