Re: [O] use-package and "Error Autoloading file"

From: Matt Price
Subject: Re: [O] use-package and "Error Autoloading file"
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 13:43:03 -0400

oh jeez, this was a trivial fix:

    :mode "\\.org" . ;; --->
    :mode ("\\.org" . org-mode)

Sorry for the noise, hope that maybe someone benefits from my stupidity!

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 11:53 AM Matt Price <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to switch my config over to use-package and running into an issue with org. Most of my init file seems to be org-related (!), so I won't post the whole thing, but will try to summarize. I've also posted a bug report to the use-package repo (https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package/issues/730).

Like many people, I have lots of versions of org-mode installed on my machine: the old org that comes with emacs 27.0.50, the version from the org ELPA repo, which is a dependency of many other packages, and finally an up-to-date git master, which is the version of org I prefer to use.  When I posted my bug report, I thought that the issue might result form using the git repo, but it seems to persist even when I remove the repo paths from load-path and take out the custom :load-path command form my use-package for org.

On initial invocation of use-package and also on load of every subsequent org-mode file, I get this error:

File mode specification error: (error Autoloading file ... failed to define function org)

It also happens whenever I try to use the agenda, which seems completely broken now.  That's the main reason I hope to track down this bug :-(

This happens regardless of whether I use the ELPA org-plus-contrib or set :load-path to the location of the lisp and contrb/lisp folders in the git repo and :pin to manual.  I'm wondering if anyone on the list has had and hopefully solved this problem!

Here's the beginning of my current use-package invocation:

  (use-package org
    :ensure org-plus-contrib
    :functions org
    :init
    (setq org-export-backends '(ascii beamer html hugo icalendar md gfm reveal latex odt org))
    :hook
    ((org-mode . (lambda () (flyspell-mode 1)))
     (org-mode . turn-off-auto-fill))
    :mode "\\.org"
    :bind
    (("C-c l" . 'org-store-link)
     ("C-c a" . 'org-agenda))
    :commands (org-mode org-capture org-agenda )
    :config
  ;; Targets include this file and any file contributing to the agenda - up to 5 levels deep
  (setq org-refile-targets (quote ((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 5) (nil :maxlevel . 5)
;; ....
;; ... set lots of variable values & do some other stuff
;; ....
)

Thank you as always!