Re: [O] org-store/insert-link truncating the full subject of mails

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] org-store/insert-link truncating the full subject of mails
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2018 01:55:06 +0100

"Garreau, Alexandre" <address@hidden> writes:

> This is an argument in favor of immobility.

True. Immobility is sometimes good, too.

> Yes, if only each user of each piece of software took the time to read
> the integrality of documentation each time they used something: I don’t
> and only did partially for org, yet… but for instance I did for Gnus, a
> long time ago, and never did it again: as example, did you?.

I don't see the point of reading the whole manual when you are looking
for some specific information. You can use, e.g., indices for that.

> Default are an important thing, they should fit what the most common,
> unspecific, and ignorant about the software in question, person.
> Documentation should be there only to adapt to more specific, and less
> common, cases (and, when possible, software should be made so that to
> conditionally do the right thing depending of the context so that
> changing the default behavior is less and less needed).  Not the other
> way around.

These are good rules of thumb when you are defining a default value.
When the default value was set ages ago, and some users may have grown
habits on it, you have to strike a balance between usage and theory. To
put it differently, changing default values annoys some users, and
a better default value may not be worth it.

It seems that no one is firmly attached to the current default value, so
I removed the truncation in "next" branch, i.e., Org 9.3.

Nicolas Goaziou